Veggie Burger Atelier by Nina Olsson

Veggie Burger Atelier: Extraordinary Recipes for Nourishing Plant-Based Patties, Plus Buns, Condiments, and Sweets

To me, as a long-time vegetarian, burgers are often just the sole veggie ‘option’ on a pub menu, or something that comes in a box branded ‘Linda McCartney.’

Veggie Burger Atelier is a revelation – a whole book of recipes for big, beautiful, beast-free burgers, inspired by the cuisines of the world. Not just the ‘patties’ (as Olsson call them – that’s the ‘burger’ to me ) but the relishes, buns, sauces and salads that make them a proper meal.

But what elevates this above other cookbooks is the chapter on the ‘anatomy’ of the veggie burger.  Olsson breaks it down to four elements – texture, flavour, firmness and juiciness. Then at the end of the book there is a cheat sheet to help you apply these ideas to the ingredients you have available. This is an inspiring way of cooking creatively that I feel could extend beyond the burger.

I loved this book and I can’t wait to get flipping my own home-made burgers.

Thanks to Net Galley and Quatro Publishing/Quarry books.

Comments

Popular Posts